Wednesday, April 29, 2015
It had occurred to me that you could also use those tubes as hinges and join rows of octs just at those hinges. So that was what I did here.
Then I started thinking of other beads I could use for the "waist" beads. A while ago I had gotten strings and strings of marble beads on sale, and hadn't done a lot with them. So I thought I'd try those.
I had 2 sizes, 35mm long and 30 mm long. I tried the larger ones first and got the structure you see here. The ends of the marble beads were pretty wide, so I added a bronze colored bead to give a narrower end. It came out quite zigzaggy, which I liked. But the 35mm beads were awfully heavy, a
I tried using the 30mm marble beads, and to keep more or less the same proportions, I changed the silver tubes from 25mm to 20mm. The next picture shows that one. I liked it, but somehow didn't decide to do a whole necklace like that. But I thought that single one made a great pendant, so I just finished off the one, and I'm putting that on etsy.
What I finally ended up with was using the smaller (30mm) marble beads, and 25mm silver tubes. That made each oct more
The fun part of all this is to take an idea and watch it evolve, and see what you can do with it.
Monday, April 20, 2015
In that post I mentioned wanting to use this idea to make a piece that was something on the order of a tic-tac-toe grid. When I started to do it with the zigzagging rows of octs, I found that the intersecting rows weren't quite at right angles to one another. To get that, I really did need octs that had right angles between their faces, so using the same 20 mm beads on the non-waist edges, I really did need 27mm waist tubes.
It turns out the perfect solution was to use a 25mm tube with a #11 seed bead at each end. I wanted to use my anodised aluminum tubes instead of the gold filled ones, so that each chain of octs would have a different color, and I've found that with the aluminum tubes I'm pretty much always happier if I put a seed bead at each end of the tube. That's because the aluminum tubes are quite a bit fatter than the silver ones, and so the open hole at each end of the tube is unattractive. The addition of the seed beads solved both problems.